As the father of two teens, there are many moments when my children ask, even implore, me to “Just tell me what to do!”
As a parent, it’s hard not to TELL your kids what to do. Of course there are far more times when they don’t want to hear the things I’d like to share with them. Mentoring entrepreneurs in many ways not that different from raising teens – you’ve gotta resist the urge to tell them “the answer” even when they ask for it and you’d better get used to your advice not being adhered to or at times even heard.
That of course never stopped me as an entrepreneur, mentor or parent from sharing, lessons and insights that I never cease to learn. Even while urging kids or entrepreneurs to focus on impact and the journey, rather than “success” – the question of how does one get to be successful comes up all the time. Luckily better men than me have grappled with this issue and here’s a short (3.5 minute) video that answers this very question. For those that prefer to read over watching a video, however short, I have provided a short summary at the end.
The eight secrets are
- Passion – be passionate about what you do (& the money will follow as Marsha Sinetar put it)
- Work – work hard but have fun. As Richard St. John puts it, be a workafrolic and not a workaholic!
- Focus – focus – on one thing is critical to being successful
- Persist – persistence is an attribute that comes up consistently
- Ideas – be creative and constantly come up with new ways to think & do
- Good – practice, practice, practice – so that you get good at what you do
- Push – you have to push yourself, past doubts & doubters, obstacles to be successful
- Serve – be of service, whether with your business or product or in life